Things are extra festive this year in my corner of the world. We decorated our home and have a big Christmas tree because family has converged on the Bay Area this year instead of us visiting them. There’s a new ornament on the tree—a plain and simple scallop shell that I will carry with me on my first Camino in May.
I am feeling so much joy and appreciation for the season that I just want to share a few of my favorite things. Like John Cusack in High Fidelity, I can’t resist a good top-five list either. So, without further ado, my Christmas Top Five Favorites!
Top Five Things to do
- Hang out with family
- Take the ferry to San Francisco’s waterfront and see at least one theater show – this year it was Potted Potter
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Attend Christmas Mass – this year at Corpus Christi church in Oakland
- Indulge in all the yummy food and forget about the consequences!
Top Five Christmas Movies
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Christmas Vacation
- The Sound of Music
Top Five Christmas CDs
- Christmas in Manhattan – Classic piano jazz
- A Very Special Christmas – Vol. 1 on vinyl is epic, but Vol. 5 works too
- Donna Summer: The Christmas Collection – She’ll always be The Queen
- New Orleans Christmas – We spent Christmas there in 2012 and love this city
- Yule B Swingin’ Too! – Because it includes Al Hirt and Ann Margaret’s version of Baby It’s Cold Outside
Top Five Favorite Christmas songs:
- Do you Hear What I Hear by Whitney Houston
- Winter Wonderland by Tony Bennett
- Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie
- The Nutcracker Suite (Full Album) – Tchaikovsky
- Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses
If you’re feeling nostalgic and in the spirit, please share your favorites in the comments below!
Feliz Navidad, Buon Natale, Feliz Natal, Joyeux Noël, Mele Kalikimaka, God Jul, Maligayang Pasko, счастливого Рождества, Wesołych Świąt, メリークリスマス, Fröhliche Weihnachten, 圣诞节快乐, Happy Hanukkah, क्रिसमस की बधाई, and Happy Holidays. Wherever you are, whatever your language, I wish you all the best on this joyous occasion.